If you’re trying to keep your salads interesting as we move into winter then give this nutty quinoa, spinach and apple salad a shot. You can also add grilled shrimp or chicken to make it a fuller meal.
- 1 cup quinoa, pre- rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups fresh spinach, torn or sliced thinly
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa first according to directions. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer cooked quinoa to a bowl. Add almonds, sunflower seeds, cranberries and half the dressing. Place in refrigerator for at least one hour to cool completely and so quinoa can absorb the dressing.
- When ready to serve salad, add spinach and rest of dressing to quinoa and nut mixture. Gently toss to combine. Season with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.